Long time, no blog

November 9, 2011 22:17 by Matt Whitfield

Ok, so it's been a while.

We've just updated the Atlantis site to remove the necessity to log in before downloading the applications. I'm a bit sad about it, if I'm honest, because of two things:

• I liked seeing people go past, downloading the tools and getting value from something I'd made. Obviously quite a few people would put in 'asdf afds' or similar as their name, but others would put in fake names that were funny - which actually made me smile anyway.
  • Every registration had a referral code generated for it from two words in the English dictionary - and those were also a fairly constant source of amusement. Examples include 'HopelssWeightlifter', 'TwerpGesticulating', 'InfidelityWorshippers', 'IntangibleHemorrhoid' - and those are just since the start of November. The all-time great would have to be 'RandyGrannies'.

However, with a full-time job that I'm very committed to, and the birth of our third child, the idea of paying the £400 to renew the SSL certificate didn't seem like a good use of money. The hosting is up for renewal in February, so things may well change again around that time.

Another change is that I will no longer be offering support. Previously I have been committed to answering people's emails and forum posts at various times in the day, no matter how trivial. Most of the time, people don't even take the time to simply reply and say 'Thank you'. Also, considerable quantities of people simply can't be bothered to RTFM or use the software for the 5 minutes it would take to find their answer. It came down to a simple choice - do I want to spend time with my children or reply to support emails? No prizes for guessing which won.

That's not to say, of course, that I won't answer emails at all. I will. But only if you're polite.

In terms of updating the applications, I will still be updating the applications as/when necessary. I won't be supporting Denali before it's release, but you can expect an updated version of all applications around the time of it's release. I remain open to receiving feature requests etc.

Tags:

thoughts

Comments

11/19/2011 3:01:29 AM #

Peter

Hi Matt,It's kind of sad that you have someone abandoned these project. You had/have some amazing products. Very well done.I've been reading the code from the Atlantis.SchemaEngine, and it's awesome. Incredible well written. I would be never able to write something like that. However, I would be very happy to use the library, integrated in other projects.There will be a new release of it? Or will it be open sourced? Some time ago you've also talk about releasing the data sync library. Will this happen?Many thanks!

Peter United States

11/19/2011 5:26:40 PM #

mattw@atlantis-interactive.co.uk

PeterJust to be clear, I'm not abandoning the projects - I'm simply stopping with the commitment to support them, and removing the need/ability to register on the website.I'm not sure if the data sync library will be open-sourced at the moment. The SchemaEngine project I will be keeping up to date with SQL Server releases, and I may move that onto CodePlex at some point in the future. But I'm in some discussions at the moment and it will have to wait until those are done...ThanksMatt

mattw@atlantis-interactive.co.uk United Kingdom

11/29/2011 9:22:02 AM #

dhi

i've download sql everywhere , and i'm glad i found it because other sql editor mostly not free.hope you'll have greater project in the futureThank you very much Matt

dhi Indonesia

12/24/2011 12:00:23 AM #

Manabu Tokunaga

Hello Matt,I sat down with my tech guy for 2 hours to fix "why our sever won't start." I know from my experience that it is 90% schema issue and 10% incorrect config. And there practically is no useful logging...Anyhow, I have been thinking about writing my own schema compare, but then I found yours. I just test ran the compare, and it is fantastic, it would have been only 10 minutes tops to figure out the problem.If you ever want to consult us on SQL, drop me a line. So thank you so much.

Manabu Tokunaga United States

12/24/2011 1:07:10 PM #

mattw@atlantis-interactive.co.uk

ManabuGlad it helped - that's what it's there for SmileCheersMatt

mattw@atlantis-interactive.co.uk United Kingdom

4/17/2012 2:39:50 PM #

Lance

Hi Matt,
I just wanted to say thanks for your effort in making these great products.  The finish on them is superb, especially considering that they've come from the efforts of one man!

I know that the complainers get you down, but they are just morons who deserve to be ignored.  I'm sure you have thousands of friendly users who all appreciate your hard work, even if most of them are too lazy to write you a comment of encouragement.  So here's my 2p:

Comment of Encouragement.

I hope that helps!  ;)

Cheers,
lance

Lance United Kingdom

4/20/2012 5:56:35 PM #

Matt Whitfield

Thanks! Smile

It's really nice when somebody takes the time to say something good - and - to be fair - there are a fair few people who have taken the time to email me since I wrote this. I should write another post, I feel!

Cheers

M

Matt Whitfield United States

6/8/2012 5:10:29 PM #

Daniel Olvera

Matt,

What can I say? The applications you developed are simply great. I haven't found any other with this level of usability and ease of use. I, as many others, want to say you a big THANK YOU for this amazing work... hope this words encourage you to continue doing this excellent work.

Remember.. now you have fans around the world... greetings from Mexico Smile

Daniel Olvera Mexico

9/22/2012 1:22:07 AM #

David

Hi,

I've downloaded SQL Everywhere and I'm very impressed at how polished it is. It seems a shame that there wasn't a viable business proposition there but at the same time I understand how fickle the internet can be.

The main reason I still used Query Analyzer was the command line parameters. We have an internal tool which lists our scripts and we double click to open them in Query Analyzer. I'm looking for a replacement now but unfortunately from the documentation and a bit of experimentation it doesn't appear that SQL Everywhere supports any of the /S /d /E etc Query Analyzer command line parameters.

Is anyone who reads this blog able to confirm this either way?

Thanks,
David.

David New Zealand

(Will show your Gravatar icon)

Country flag